Friday, March 20, 2009

Prayer

Today, while sitting at my desk working and listening to the Egyptian Radio live broadcast, the Maghreb Adhan came on and I found myself listening with tears in my eyes. I never realised how much I missed actually hearing the Adhan at each prayer, and the Friday Khutba. When in Tripoli I lived near a Mosque, and listening to the Adhan was really beautiful, I remember on Friday specially when all the neighbours men would walk down the road with their white robes and the children following and playing along the way, the women waving at each other from the doorways and then making the family meal which will traditionally be Couscous. So you can imagine how hard it is when because of the cold you rush from one place to the other and don't even have time to stand and say hello, or enjoy the scenery which is quite breathtaking. The views are remarkable, the sunlight is dazzling, everything is nice but the most important thing missing is the human touch. Which is something I was discussing with a friend who used to be in Libya with her family, she made her husband give up a good position with great expat benefits just because there werent enough places to go to for eating , and she didn't like that people were trying to be friendly and always inviting them over etc... so I told her that I hate where I am at the moment because of exactly the lack of what she had plenty of ! She said she preferred to be left alone, and only go where she wants. I told her that this was the way that people show you how much they care and they thought they were being friendly and they didn't want her to be lonely or to be homesick, but our discussion was just a waste of time because she really did not understand it ! This makes me wonder why ? Why is it so strange that people actually want to make you feel welcome ? why is it considered that it is an imposition ? why is it uncomfortable to some when the whole purpose is thought to be good ? I am baffled ! I do understand that a person isn't always feeling social, but not always , and being in a strange environment would actually make you want some type of human contact, other than your immediate family, but like I always say it takes all kinds to make this world .

4 comments:

  1. Salam
    all the things u talked about it u did and ur family n Friday we still have and do it. it becomes part of our life n Friday. i with wen u felt u miss hearing the Adhan, spacially n Friday itz or day as Muslim it z like Eid. stand our day with out hearing the Adhan five times n my day itz difficult.
    i respect ur feeling.
    10x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She made her husband give up a good position with great expat benefits just because there werent enough places to go to for eating"

    Do you expect me to believe this nonsense.


    "she didn't like that people were trying to be friendly and always inviting them over etc."


    I am one of the people who does not like to be invited frequently plus I have better things to do with my kids on the week ends. I deal with people all day long and at the end of the day I just want peace which I do not find because I have another zoo waiting for me at home :-)


    "I told her that this was the way that people show you how much they care and they thought they were being friendly and they didn't want her to be lonely or to be homesick, but our discussion was just a waste of time because she really did not understand it !"


    I can understand her, I have a brother who lives in the same city and he is 15 minutes drive away and I meet him once very three weeks so that cousins meet each other. The truth is that the way I raise my kids is different than my brother or my friends do, I am not saying my parenting is better plus my kids are in different age bracket than my friends and brother. It gets harder when kids grow up and each one is different than the other and you have to juggle to meet their expectations and their interests. On saturdays I am always doing something with kids and on sundays I love to stay home except if the weather is great.

    "This makes me wonder why ? Why is it so strange that people actually want to make you feel welcome ? why is it considered that it is an imposition ? why is it uncomfortable to some when the whole purpose is thought to be good ? I am baffled !


    Why is that, do you know how many birthday parties my kids get invited during the year " thats only birthday parties", it is a nightmare and if I was sociable with 20 Arab families on a regular basis plus the kids activities, I am screwed big time, when do I have the time for myself. I agree with your friend, just reading blogs takes time that does not include commenting.


    Why don't you move to Vancouver, it is one the most beautiful city in the world and I think you will be far a happier person than now. You sound depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMADOU & MARIAM - SABALI (video clip)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIZkCSfiP9o&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am LOL because what you wrote is the fundamental difference between the Western mind and the Arab mind , socially that is and no insult to anyone . One way is not any better than the other way of life , just different .

    I can understand how isolated you must feel there in cold Canada after the warm family life and weather here in Libya.

    I too love to hear the Adan for prayers . When we moved back to the States years ago from here in Libya , it was one of the things I missed the most to tell the truth .You are just homesick .

    ReplyDelete