Friday, February 27, 2009

Our Life

After being absent for a couple of days, due to an increased workload (at the office) and being dead tired by the time I get home, with time to do a couple of chores only, today I have decided to dedicate my lunch time to going over blogs.
First of all, thanks Shahrazad and congrats on your new twin sisters !
Now my question is : how come only foreigners get to see the weird stuff that is going on in our society ? Is it because when they are around, they are considered not even there ! or is it because the women present think that they dont understand so they just talk about anything and everything , no matter how trivial it is !
I know that in every society there are these little myths or cure miracles or whatever one wants to call them but I dont think that it is in each and every gathering that KT goes to, unless her entourage is a little bit uneducated !
Anyway, I would think that the Ajnabiyas living within Libyan society are somewhat even revered to put it mildly, and given priority treatments wherever they go, correct me anybody if I am wrong, so I was hoping that we can maybe get to hear how they enjoy living the life they do, and maybe they should compare themselves with their peers from back home, or their school friends and what they have become and what type of life they are living !
I know that we all have our opinions, and like it has been pointed out to me over and over again that we all have freedom of speech, but speaking for myself I find it a little too hard to digest that someone would pour medicine over their head to straighten their hair, (oil, lemon juice, BEER ) maybe, but .....
So folks like they say, the longer you live the more you see and hear.

1 comment:

  1. I think the reason KT and Myself talk about our lives here in Libya so much is because ...... It IS OUR LIFE !This is our home and our families home .I became a Muslim here .

    We have almost nothing in common with the people we grew up with back in the States . Yes we all have families there, but our life styles and experiences are so different as our life styles are so different from theirs. Even my family , which know from me personally talking to them when we did live in the States years ago , and now my 2 daughters live there too , talking about Libya , still don't get it all the way what our life is like here and neither do you .

    I have a Libyan sister in law there in the States that doesn't get it after living in the States for over 20 years .She drives me crazy when she comes to visit here in the summers !!!! She acts like she was never born and raised here all her life . Yet in the States she is more Libyan than you are .

    As for being a foreigner living here in Libya , married to a Libyan .....
    foreigners do get some preferential treatment from shop keepers that's true , most of the time, but it is also true that we are ripped off more than Libyans JUST because we are foreigners . We are thought to have more money than Libyans , but we are Libyans by virtue of being married to a Libyan . When we work , no matter our education or experience in the work field in the States , we are paid JUST the Same as a Libyan , BECAUSE we are married to a Libyan.We are expected to be more " MORAL" than a ordinary Libyan or foreigner because we are married to a Libyan . And our poor children are also expected to be better behaved than a normal Libyan child , because of their mother being a foreigner . It is a 2 sided sword we live with .

    Try it , marry a foreigner yourself and see how your life will be in their country .Our life is a constant tight rope walk and all in the name of LOVE and FAMILY .

    ReplyDelete